
I haven't done any scrapbooking or card making in the past few days because I got caught up in this book, Finally finished it tonight.This is a book that once you start reading you don't want to put it down.
This novel is set pre and post second world war, England. Pilcher writes with knowledge and grittiness but with beautiful discription of scenery and occasion. I have enjoyed every moment I have spent with her characters. The main character, More...Judith, is a girl who is left in a boarding school by her parents while her father serves in Singapore. While at boarding school she meets a friend and is invited to spend school breaks with the friend's family. Over the years she becomes part of this family and the story proceeds with characters within the family playing a large part in an engaging story of loss, love and human kindness.
Judith's parents are lost to concentration camps after the fall of Singapore but her small sister is returned to England in very sorry state. The whole novel discribes the privations of wartime without sentiment but adequately enough for the reader to 'feel' the difficulties imposed.
4 comments:
Sometimes it's nice to get away and immerse yourself in a book, eh? :)
Sounds like a book I would love!! I have read and enjoyed other books by this author so I'll put this one on my list!!
Wow - sounds good! I must admit that getting away can clear your head for more creativity! I have been reading some...just trying to fit it in when I can!
Mary,
Jill from the bookstore on the island emailed that you mentioned my blog on YOUR blog. I am so flattered, and thank you very much! I'm looking forward to following you - I love finding good reads! P.S. We will be returning to the island May 17. I am counting the days.
Post a Comment